What Is Blogging?
Blogs have been around for many years but have recently become
somewhat a new ‘craze’. A Blog is short for Web Log is basically
an online journal. They can be set up at little to no cost
at all, and can be used for a wide variety of things. Some
bloggers just blog for the fun of it, while others tend to
use their blogs for business reasons.
The following are just a few ways blogs can be used:
1) Updates Keep customers/clients up to date on changes
to your website. Also new product announcement and new related
2) Reviews You can give opinions, advice and personal
recommendations on specific products or services related to
3) Personal and Business uses Blogs are a great way
to keep track of your goals and plans just by open writing.
4) Stress Reliever Jot down your vents, gripes, thoughts.
Some also find general writing therapeutic.
5) Search Engine Optimization Search Engines love text
and content. You can also include links to your website which
equal backward links which in turn equals high ranking.
6) Money Makers Yes, you can make money with your blog
by providing readers with quality copy writing and a few affiliate
links. So how is a blog set up?
There are several options you can choose from when
starting your own blog, and a few are:
1) Using a free service such as Blogger.com ( http://www.blogger.com
2) Using Blogger.com (or other free blog provider)
with your own domain name that you can purchase through places
such as Mommy’s Helper Domain & Hosting Services ( http://www.mommyshelperonline.com/web-hosting.html
3) You can also choose a paid services such as Blogit.com
) for as little as $5.95 a month. You have your blog set up,
but how do you get visitors to it and get them comming back?
Along with general advertising, here are a few more
1) Directories There are many directories that you
can submit your blog to such as BlogWise.com ( http://www.blogwise.com/
) To find more simply do a search for blog directories.
2) Link Exchange Place links on your website to your
blog and visa versa.
3) Syndicate Your Blog For example you can now give
your visitors the option of having your blog headlines right
on their MyYahoo! Page. (example - http://add.my.yahoo.com/rss?url=http%3A//www.2wahms.blogspot.com
This makes it much simpler for your readers to quickly skim
the topic headlines and an added benefit to you the blogger
to keep your visitors up to date. You also have the choice
of letting your readers comments on your blog.
Most services have these features and can be a great tool
to keep your blog interactive between you and your readers.
With all the spam filters and spam blockers available or sometimes
even automatically installed in email programs, it’s getting
harder every day to keep in constant contact with your visitors/customers
and/or clients. Blogs have shed some new light in this aspect
giving you a better way to communicate. Most blog services
are very user friendly. If you can run simple programs such
as MSWord or Word Perfect then you have the knowledge to maintain
your own blog. There’s no need to even have html knowledge.
In essence, anyone can have his or her own blog.
About the Authors:
Kara Kelso and Anita DeFrank are the owners of Mommy's Helper
- Mom's Market Ezine ( http://www.momsmarketonline.com/Ezine.html
), and ezine for work at home moms. You can read their business
blog at: http://www.2wahms.blogger.com